It's been a boring and unproductive start of second semester in law school. I am glad and unashamed to pronounce that the first week already got me defeatedly broke from paying school dues and mega expensive loquacious law books. Most of the professors are still missing, others had already declared that hostilities will begin and start packing our bags to our great journey to hell. The thing about law school, is that they make you consume this idea that you're never gonna last, and that they keep reminding you that next day you will fail, most likely. I don't know exactly why they use this as tool for encouragement or at the very least, to scare the shit out of us.
I am unfazed, bring it on Attorney.
I am unfazed, bring it on Attorney.
______________
Part of my preparation is to do a background and profile check on our lineup with this sleazy idea that it'd help us prepare for the worst.
One sometimes go to class drunk and swear shits on students and chew on them for about 20-30 minutes, does not often go to class and has this habit of walking to class at the last five minutes, releasing us from the agony of two hours and fifty-five minutes of waiting. This gotta be exciting
Next, a middle aged lawyer who is currently phenomenal on his rendered judgment on banning the importation of dolphins to the Philippines from a known big entertainment corporation in Singapore. He will teach my most favorite subject so far, Criminal Law. He seemed nice and decent, not full of endless ramblings about how difficult law school is. He just plainly introduced himself with his name (which I quite found amusing) and where he does trial. But he declared 'hostilities', with a smile.
Third is a big shot commissioner who works for the government who's got a big grin on his face for the most part of our class. Bet he's gonna do that the whole semester. I was told to be cautious, because he's actually deadly. An attorney this big doesn't normally make students' life easy, and to begin to prove that, we're required to buy his seemingly overpriced book that we can get for about a third of the original price if it was priced right, to my opinion.
Fourth, a professor who hit the borderline of my patience for tardy professionals. I have nothing to express except for my disappointment and dwindled respect. She was always absent before and made us felt like we wasted practically most of our time on the chairs waiting for her. Ironically, I had my first recitation in her class yesterday answering the question, "Why is the subject the most important subject in law school?".
Lastly, this young attorney who topped the bar exam who is equally applauded and crushed, according to all the sources I've talked to. Students begin fearing him and end up crushing on him, with giggles. I have yet to see, but surely I'm not gonna be head over heels in love with tons of cases that he's gonna be stacking on my study table.
So far, so good. I have been finishing Grisham during my extra time, then begin to read more than a total of at least 200 pages to prep up for this week. Sometimes, I am not content with what I learn inside law school. I have always been aggressive with outside experience and information about how the real lawyering and its grunt work happens. This road to fame is so slow! I'm reeling for the real thing and grunt work for me is fine as long as I get on-hand training with real lawyers, either at a firm or government, simultaneously with law school. I cannot simply graduate from law school without knowing anything. And that's my flexible plan, hope it works.
Right now, I'd have to thank Grisham for the overview of this rather cutthroat profession I'm slowly and frustratingly getting into.
Right now, I'd have to thank Grisham for the overview of this rather cutthroat profession I'm slowly and frustratingly getting into.
No comments:
Post a Comment